Monday 24 March 2014

Things I learned this week

Phew-eee! The last 7 days have been so busy, time is properly flying. Can you believe we're in the last week of March already?
Here's what I learned this week...

1) My daughter is a badass cheerleader.
Okay, so I already knew this. Daisy has been in her cheerleading team since the age of 4, and she gets better every year. Her team are growing up together, and it's wonderful to see them getting tighter as a team every year. We've just come out of two major dance and cheer competitions - one last weekend in Glasgow, and one yesterday in Aberdeen. Yesterday, they swept the boards, first place in every category they entered. Amazing!
They work so hard, I have to remind myself that in addition to learning all their moves, placements, stunts etc, they also have to go to school and learn squillions of other things. Their energy astounds and inspires me, and I shamelessly sobbed alongside the other proud parents at the competitions.



2) My husband looks hot in glasses.
Steve has worn contacts since he was a teenager, but his eyes are getting seriously damaged, so he was strongly advised to give them a break and start wearing glasses. He wasn't keen, but seriously. Whoah, mama. He suits them in a major way, and I get a bit like a giggly teenager around him even more than usual now...
My daddy is so handsome!

3) Sometimes pointless internet crazes turn out to be not so pointless after all.
Remember all those irritating FB messages that went around every year, usually with the same message - "We're raising awareness for breast cancer, so post your bra colour/where you keep your handbag/a single heart/the place you were born/some other ridiculous rubbish on your page, but don't tell anyone why! Especially not MEN! Tee hee!"
Um, yeah. Cos silly cryptic messages with no explanation are totally going to eradicate cancer.
Well, the latest one was to post a selfie of you with no make up on. Now, it started off as a bit of a divide. Well, as a huge divide actually, with some people posting selfies, and some people ranting about how pointless it all was. Not that big a deal really, but there were quite a few bitchy posts and it did become quite nasty, until something quite amazing happened. People started to post their selfies with a number to text which would automatically donate £3 to Cancer Research UK. (Text BEAT to 70007)
Within 2 days, more than £2m had been raised, amazing!
I admit, I had started on the "pointless" side, although I did post a selfie because I really think we could all do with being more confident in our natural faces. However, I was more than happy to jump on this bandwagon, and proudly donated my £3. If you haven't done it yet, please do!
Au Naturel

4) My baby rocks a headband.
Seriously, I can't believe it took me 9 months to get into these. They're adorable!

5) It's amazing how much you can achieve when you work together.
This weekend, Steve and I cleaned, hoovered, decluttered, scraped, cooked, ironed, dusted, washed, hung out, tidied and put away All The Things.
It's monday, and I need a weekend to recover from the weekend! Of course, it all needs done again every single day, but I never stop feeling blessed that I have such a good husband who sees our home as a team effort, and we work brilliantly together.
Early pregnancy nausea and general exhaustion are really taing their toll at the moment, and it's not an option to just forget about the housework and take to me bed. In the hour between the kids coming home from school and Steve coming home from work, the house which was immaculate at lunchtime can be an absolute bombsite, but we work together and it never takes long to get straightened up again. 
Now that we're staring down the barrel of a 4 child household, we really need to start tightening up our routines and thinking of ways to simplify our lives and make our house easier to run. If you have any tips, please share!


What I think my living room looks like during the day

What I think my living room looks like 5 minutes after the kids come home



No comments:

Post a Comment