Thursday 13 February 2014

Thrifty Thursdays!

Welcome to a new weekly blog feature - Thrifty Thursdays!
If you're anything like me, you'll be finding life pretty darn expensive at the moment, so I wanted to have a weekly feature where we can create a fun, interactive space to share tips and ideas for living well and saving money. Are you in? Good!

Recipe of the week: I was in the supermarket the other day, and there were punnets of cherry tomatoes on their sell by date, selling for just 50p a punnet. I adore tomatoes of any kind, but especially the sweet, fragrant, smaller varieties like cherry and baby plum.
I bought 4 punnets, but obviously wouldn't have been able to eat them all before they went bad, so here's what I did with them...

SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES

1 punnet cherry or other small tomatoes
1 bulb garlic
Dried oregano
Fennel seeds
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Slice tomatoes in half and arrange them on a baking tray. Break the garlic into cloves and scatter them around the tomatoes. Sprinkle over a pinch of both the fennel seeds and oregano, then drizzle with olive oil and a tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
Roast at 140c for 2-3 hours, until they've shrivelled slightly and intensified in flavour.
These are amazing if you put them in a container, cover with olive oil and keep in the fridge to pep up salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes, soups, the possibilities are endless!
That's if they make it into the fridge without "accidentally" falling into your mouth....



Bargain of the week: Carex Handwash, 90p Asda. This stuff is amazing! 
They have limited edition sweet shop fragrances, and I bought Cola Bottles, and Strawberry Laces. Both smell AWESOME, and are antibacterial. I can't stop sniffing my hands after using this stuff, they smell exactly like the real thing.Yummy! Asda has a health and beauty event on this week, so these babies are only 90p. Grab them while you can!

Cheapy of the week: Smartprice hot chocolate, 58p, 400g
My kids are hot chocolate fiends, and we get through a tub a week. Most hot chocolates are around £3 a tub, and with my tight budget, I could do without it!
I tried this because I figured it might be ok, and if not, I could always use it in a cake or something! It's actually really nice, as long as you use heaped teaspoons to make it strong, it's as good as any other - smooth, thick and nicely chocolatey, and super cheap!
Even better, the empty plastic jar can be decorated and filled with lentils/pasta,beads to make a fun shaker for your child ;)

Tip of the week: Amelie has really sensitive skin, so I like to use just plain water on her face. I've used an empty handwash bottle, filled it with water, and kept it in the toy tray under her highchair, along with some facecloths (you could use cut up towels). Super handy for quick post meal clean ups! I know it's hardly revolutionary, but something I hadn't thought to do before. Simple time and money saving ideas!

That's it for this week, please share your thrifty finds with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment